Welcome to White Pebble Dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Urticaria, also known as Hives, is a common skin condition that causes red, itchy welts on the skin. They can be uncomfortable and unsightly, and can negatively impact your quality of life. In this section, we'll discuss hives in more detail and explain how our team can help you manage this condition.
What are Urticaria (Hives)?
Hives are a skin condition that causes red, itchy welts on the skin. They can appear anywhere on the body and can range in size from a small dot to a large patch. Hives can be triggered by a variety of factors, including cold or hot temperatures, sweats, allergies, stress, certain foods, medications, and infections. Common symptoms of hives include itching, redness, and swelling.
How are Hives diagnosed?
Hives are typically diagnosed clinically based on the characteristic look of the rash and the patient's history. For inducible hives, reproducing the reaction by the triggers can help confirm the diagnosis. For example, skin scratching test for dermographism. A biopsy is usually not performed as it is not specific. Blood tests are sometimes done to check underlining medical conditions.
At our dermatology practice, we offer a variety of effective treatment options for hives, including:
- Antihistamines: over-the-counter or prescription medications that can help reduce itching and other symptoms of hives
- Corticosteroids: medications that can help reduce inflammation and relieve itching
- Immunomodulators: medications that can help regulate the immune system and reduce the severity of hives
Our team of dermatology specialists will work closely with you to determine the best treatment approach based on the severity and frequency of your hives.
Preventing hives can be challenging, as they can be triggered by a variety of factors. However, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing hives, including:
- Identifying and avoiding triggers: keeping a record of your hives outbreaks and identifying triggers, such as certain foods or medications, can help you avoid them in the future
- Taking antihistamines as directed: if you're prone to hives, taking an antihistamine before exposure to a known trigger, such as exercise or stress, may help prevent an outbreak
Why Choose Us?
At our dermatology practice, we understand the impact that hives can have on your skin and your overall well-being. That's why we are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care to each and every one of our patients. Our team of experienced dermatology specialists has the knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible care and treatment for hives.
Hives treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step?
If you're struggling with hives and are ready to take the first step toward healthier, more comfortable skin, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. We look forward to helping you achieve your skin care goals and feel confident in your own skin!