Welcome to White Pebble Dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Molluscum contagiosum is a common skin infection that causes small, raised, round bumps to appear on the skin. While it is not usually serious, molluscum contagiosum can be a cosmetic concern and can cause discomfort or itching. In this section, we'll discuss molluscum contagiosum in more detail and explain how our team can help you manage this condition.
What is Molluscum Contagiosum?
Molluscum contagiosum is a viral skin infection that is caused by the molluscum contagiosum virus. It is most commonly spread through skin-to-skin contact or through contact with contaminated objects such as towels or toys. Molluscum contagiosum typically appears as small, raised, round bumps on the skin, and can appear anywhere on the body.
How is Molluscum Contagiosum diagnosed?
Molluscum Contagiosum is usually diagnosed clinically by its characteristic appearance. Rarely skin biopsy is performed to confirm the diagnosis.
At our dermatology practice, we offer a variety of effective treatment options for molluscum contagiosum, including:
- Cryotherapy: a freezing agent is applied to the bumps to destroy the infected tissue
- Curettage: the bumps are scraped off the skin's surface
- Topical treatments: there are a variety of creams and gels that can be applied to the skin to treat molluscum contagiosum
Our team of dermatology specialists will work closely with you to determine the best treatment approach based on the severity and location of your molluscum contagiosum.
Preventing molluscum contagiosum can be challenging, as it is highly contagious. However, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing it, including:
- Avoiding contact with infected individuals: molluscum contagiosum is spread through skin-to-skin contact, so avoiding contact with infected individuals can reduce your risk of developing it
- Avoiding sharing personal items: towels, clothing, and other personal items can all spread molluscum contagiosum, so avoiding sharing these items can help reduce your risk
Why Choose Us?
At our dermatology practice, we understand the impact that molluscum contagiosum can have on your skin and your overall well-being. That's why we are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care to each and every one of our patients. Our team of experienced dermatology specialists has the knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible care and treatment for molluscum contagiosum.
Molluscum Contagiosum treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step?
If you're struggling with molluscum contagiosum and are ready to take the first step toward healthier, more comfortable skin, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. We look forward to helping you achieve your skincare goals and feel confident in your own skin!