Welcome to White Pebble Dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Moles are common skin growths that can appear anywhere on the body. While most moles are harmless, some may be a sign of skin cancer. In this section, we'll discuss moles in more detail and explain how our team can help you manage this condition.
What are Moles?
Moles are common skin growths that can appear anywhere on the body. They are usually brown or black and can be flat or raised. Moles are caused by the clustering of pigment cells in the skin, and most people have at least a few moles on their bodies.
When to Get Your Moles Checked
While most moles are harmless, some may be a sign of skin cancer. You should get your moles checked by a dermatology specialist if:
- Your moles are changing in size, shape, or color
- Your moles are bleeding or itching
- Your moles have an irregular border or are asymmetrical
- You have more than 50 moles on your body
- You have a family history of melanoma
Only moles that are suspected to be cancerous or cause bothersome symptoms need to be removed. Commonly used effective options for moles removal include:
- Excision: if a mole is suspected to be cancerous, it may be removed with surgery
- Shave removal: if a mole is non-cancerous and does not protrude from the skin, it may be removed by shaving it off the skin's surface
Our team of dermatology specialists will work closely with you to determine the best treatment approach based on the type, location, and severity of your mole.
Preventing moles can be challenging, as most moles are the result of genetic factors. However, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing skin cancer, including:
- Protecting your skin from the sun: wearing protective clothing, using sunscreen, and avoiding the sun during peak hours can all help reduce your risk of developing skin cancer
- Checking your skin regularly: regularly checking your skin for changes in moles or the appearance of new moles can help detect skin cancer early
Why Choose Us?
At our dermatology practice, we understand the impact that moles and skin cancer can have on your skin and your overall well-being. That's why we are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care to each and every one of our patients. Our team of experienced dermatology specialists has the knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible care and treatment for moles and skin cancer.
Mole check and treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step?
If you're concerned about your moles or in need of a skin cancer check, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. We look forward to helping you achieve your skincare goals and feel confident in your own skin!