Welcome to White Pebble Dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Our team of experienced dermatology specialists is dedicated to helping our patients achieve healthy, clear skin. One common skin condition that we see in our practice is seborrheic dermatitis, which can cause uncomfortable symptoms like itching and flaking. In this section, we'll explain what seborrheic dermatitis is, what causes it, and how our team can help you manage this condition.
What is Seborrheic Dermatitis?
Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic inflammatory skin condition that affects areas of the body where sebaceous glands are most active. This includes the scalp, face, ears, chest, and back. Seborrheic dermatitis can cause skin to become red, itchy, and scaly, and can sometimes lead to hair loss. The condition is not contagious or dangerous, but it can be uncomfortable and difficult to manage.
Causes of Seborrheic Dermatitis
The exact cause of seborrheic dermatitis is unknown, but there are a few factors that can increase a person's risk of developing the condition. These include:
- Age: Seborrheic dermatitis is more common in adults than in children and infants.
- Hormonal changes: Changes in hormone levels, such as those that occur during puberty or pregnancy, can trigger seborrheic dermatitis.
- Genetics: People with a family history of seborrheic dermatitis are more likely to develop the condition themselves.
- Certain medical conditions: Seborrheic dermatitis is more common in people with certain medical conditions, such as HIV/AIDS, Parkinson's disease, and depression.
Treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis
While there is no cure for seborrheic dermatitis, there are a number of treatments available that can help manage the symptoms of the condition. Some of the most common treatment options include:
- Topical medications: Creams, lotions, and shampoos that contain anti-inflammatory or antifungal agents can be used to reduce redness and flaking.
- Medicated shampoos: Shampoos containing active ingredients like ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or salicylic acid can be used to reduce flaking and itching on the scalp.
- Light therapy: In some cases, exposure to certain wavelengths of light can help reduce inflammation and improve symptoms.
- Lifestyle changes: Making changes to your lifestyle, such as reducing stress, avoiding harsh skincare products, and limiting your exposure to cold and dry weather, can help improve symptoms.
At White Pebble Dermatology, we offer a range of treatments for seborrheic dermatitis, and our team of specialists will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan that addresses your unique symptoms and concerns. If you're experiencing symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis, schedule an appointment with one of our dermatology specialists today to learn more about your treatment options.
Seborrheic Dermatitis treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step? If you're struggling with Seborrheic Dermatitis and are ready to take the first step toward clearer, healthier skin, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. As a woman-owned business, we are proud to offer exceptional care and support to women and men of all ages. We look forward to helping you achieve your skincare goals and feel confident in your own skin!