Welcome to White Pebble Dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Nail fungus, also known as onychomycosis, is a common condition that affects the nails on the fingers and toes. It is caused by a fungal infection and can cause thickened, discolored, and brittle nails. In this section, we'll discuss nail fungus in more detail and explain how our team can help you manage this condition.
What is Nail Fungus?
Nail fungus is a fungal infection that affects the nails on the fingers and toes. It can cause the nails to become thickened, discolored, and brittle, and may also cause the nails to separate from the nail bed. Nail fungus can be a cosmetic concern, and may also cause discomfort or pain.
How is Nail Fungus diagnosed?
Nail Fungus is diagnosed clinically most of the time. A Dermatoscope, microscope of the nail scraping, and nail clipping culture are sometimes needed to aid the diagnosis.
At our dermatology practice, we offer a variety of effective treatment options for nail fungus, including:
- Topical treatments: there are a variety of antifungal creams, gels, and nail polishes that can be applied to the affected nails
- Oral medications: prescription antifungal medications can be taken orally to treat nail fungus
- Laser treatment: laser therapy can be used to target and destroy the fungus in the affected nails
Our team of dermatology specialists will work closely with you to determine the best treatment approach based on the severity and location of your nail fungus.
Preventing nail fungus can be challenging, but there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing it, including
- Keeping your nails clean and dry: regularly washing and drying your nails can help prevent fungal infections
- Avoiding sharing personal items: sharing items such as nail clippers, socks, or shoes can spread fungal infections
- Wearing protective footwear: wearing shoes in public places such as swimming pools or locker rooms can help reduce your risk of developing nail fungus
Why Choose Us?
At our dermatology practice, we understand the impact that nail fungus can have on your nails and your overall well-being. That's why we are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care to each and every one of our patients. Our team of experienced dermatology specialists has the knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible care and treatment for nail fungus.
Nail Fungus treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step?
If you're struggling with nail fungus and are ready to take the first step toward healthier, more comfortable nails, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. We look forward to helping you achieve your skincare goals and feel confident in your own skin!