Welcome to White Pebble Dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that develops in the cells that produce pigment. It is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition, but with early detection and treatment, it can often be cured. In this section, we'll discuss melanoma in more detail and explain how our team can help you manage this condition.
What is Melanoma?
Melanoma is a type of skin cancer that develops in the cells that produce pigment. It is most commonly caused by exposure to UV radiation from the sun or tanning beds. Melanoma can appear anywhere on the body and can take many different forms. Common symptoms include changes in the color, size, or shape of a mole, as well as the appearance of a new mole.
How is Melanoma diagnosed?
Melanoma is diagnosed clinically with the aid of dermoscopy and confirmed by biopsy.
There are a variety of effective treatment options for melanoma, including:
- Surgical removal: if the melanoma is small and has not spread, it may be possible to remove it with surgery
- Radiation therapy: if the melanoma has spread or cannot be removed with surgery, radiation therapy may be used to kill cancer cells
- Chemotherapy: if the melanoma has spread to other parts of the body, chemotherapy may be used to kill cancer cells
Our team of dermatology specialists will work closely with you to determine the best treatment approach based on the severity and location of your melanoma.
Preventing melanoma can be challenging, but there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing it, including:
- Protecting your skin from the sun: wearing protective clothing, using sunscreen, and avoiding the sun during peak hours can all help reduce your risk of developing melanoma
- Avoiding tanning beds: tanning beds expose your skin to UV radiation, which can increase your risk of developing melanoma
- Checking your skin regularly either by yourself or a dermatology specialist: regularly checking your skin for changes in moles or the appearance of new moles can help detect melanoma early
Why Choose Us?
At our dermatology practice, we understand the impact that melanoma can have on your skin and your overall well-being. That's why we are committed to providing compassionate, personalized care to each and every one of our patients. Our team of experienced dermatology specialists has the knowledge and expertise to provide you with the best possible care and treatment for melanoma.
Melanoma treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step?
If you're struggling with melanoma and are ready to take the first step toward healthier, more comfortable skin, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. We look forward to helping you achieve your skin care goals and feel confident in your own skin!