Welcome to White Pebble dermatology practice in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland! Our women-owned team of dermatology specialists is dedicated to helping our patients achieve clear, healthy skin. One of the most common skin concerns we see in our dermatology practice is skin tags. In this section, we'll discuss skin tags in more detail and explain how our team can help you achieve the smooth, clear skin you desire.
What are Skin Tags?
Skin tags, also known as acrochordons, are small, soft, benign growths that typically appear on the neck, armpits, groin, eyelids, and other areas where skin rubs against skin or clothing. They often appear as raised bumps or flaps of skin and are usually flesh-colored or slightly darker.
While skin tags are not harmful and do not usually cause pain, they can be a cosmetic concern and may become irritated or inflamed if they are rubbed or snagged by clothing or jewelry.
Causes of Skin Tags
The exact cause of skin tags is not fully understood, but they are more common in people who are overweight, have diabetes, or have a family history of skin tags. They also tend to occur more frequently in areas of the body where skin rubs against skin or clothing.
Skin Tag Removal Options
At our dermatology practice, we offer several options for the safe and effective removal of skin tags, including:
- Cryotherapy: This treatment uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the skin tag, causing it to fall off within a few days.
- Excision: This procedure involves numbing the skin tag and then using surgical scissors or a scalpel to remove it.
- Electrocautery: This method uses heat to burn off the skin tag.
- Ligation: This involves tying off the base of the skin tag with a small band to cut off its blood supply, causing it to eventually fall off.
Our team of dermatology specialists will work closely with you to determine the best treatment approach based on your specific needs and goals.
Prevention of Skin Tags While there is no surefire way to prevent skin tags from developing, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing them, including:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Wearing loose-fitting clothing
- Avoiding areas of the body where skin rubs against skin or clothing
- Keeping the skin dry and clean
- Avoiding excessive sun exposure
If you have skin tags that are causing discomfort or affecting your self-esteem, don't hesitate to contact our dermatology practice. Our team of experienced dermatology specialists is dedicated to helping you achieve the clear, healthy skin you desire.
Skin tags treatment near me in Columbia, Maryland, and Highland, Maryland
Ready to Take the First Step? If you're struggling with Skin tags and are ready to take the first step toward clearer, healthier skin, we invite you to call/text to schedule a consultation with one of our dermatology specialists. As a woman-owned business, we are proud to offer exceptional care and support to women and men of all ages. We look forward to helping you achieve your skincare goals and feel confident in your own skin!